Six triathletes poised to continue Canada’s podium success at triathlon venue, July 27th and 29th
LIMA, Peru—A six-pack of Canadian triathletes have arrived and are ready to toe the line at the Lima 2019 Pan American Games.
Three women and three men have qualified to compete in their first Pan American Games for Team Canada based on their performances at multiple events this spring. Since the Pan American Games are not a 2020 Olympic qualifying event, Triathlon Canada will use the multi-sport Games as a development opportunity for its next wave of promising young athletes.
The young Canucks bring a wealth of experience to the international triathlon arena. The women’s team consists of Hannah Henry (Victoria), Desirae Ridenour (Cowichan Bay, B.C.) and Karol-Ann Roy (Laval, Que.). The men’s trio includes Alexis Lepage (Gatineau, Que.), Taylor Forbes (Hamilton), and Charles Paquet (Port Cartier, Que.). The team will be coached by Montreal’s Marc-Antoine Christin.
July 27 – Individual Races
- Women’s Race 10 a.m. (Local): Karol-Ann Roy (Laval, Que.)
- Men’s Race 1 p.m. (Local): Charles Paquet (Port Cartier, Que.) and Taylor Forbes (Hamilton).
July 29 – Mixed Team Relay
- Alexis Lepage (Gatineau, Que.), Desirae Ridenour (Cowichan Bay, B.C.), Hannah Henry (Victoria will suit up in Canada’s mixed relay team. Triathlon Canada will determine the final Canadian that will line up following the individual races.
News and Notes on Team Canada:
- Alexis Lepage won his first career World Cup medal in May, winning the bronze in Chengdu, China;
- Alexis Lepage and Desirae Ridenour both competed for Canada at the 2018 Commonwealth Games;
- Karol-Ann Roy was recently crowned women’s Canadian Champion;
- Charles Paquet has three CAMTRI podiums this year: Richmond, Virgina; Kelowna, B.C.; and Magog, Que. Paquet was a silver medallist at the 2016 World Junior Championships;
- Canada has earned nine medals in triathlon at the Pan American Games since 1995. The last two podium finishes were by Olympian Brent McMahon, who won the silver at the 2007 Games and bronze in 2011. The only two gold medals won by Canadian triathletes at the Pan American Games came by Sharon Donnelly (1999), and Jill Savage (2003).
Schedule and Results:
A complete schedule and results can be tracked at https://www.lima2019.pe/en/results
CBC Sports and the Canadian Olympic Committee announced today that Canadians will be able to experience the excitement of the Lima 2019 Pan American Games through a full-day integrated feed featuring a variety of sports via daily live stream on the free CBC Gem streaming service, cbcsports.ca and via the CBC Sports app.
The live stream feed, which is available exclusively within Canada via CBC Sports in partnership with host broadcaster MediaPro, will start with the Opening Ceremony later today at 7:50pm ET (4:50pm PT). A schedule of the featured events will be posted on the @CBCOlympics social media channels once available, subject to change.
Lima 2019 runs from July 26 to August 11. The Games will bring together approximately 6,700 athletes from 41 nations of the Americas and feature 62 disciplines in 39 sports. It will be the largest sporting event ever held in Peru.